TechTalk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TechTalk
TechTalk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to type correctly.

3 posters

Go down

How to type correctly. Empty How to type correctly.

Post by Yo-yO52 Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:53 pm

This is a tutorial on how to type correctly carried over from sherwoodgeneral.com.
Well, as many of you probably know, and should know, typing is a way of showing others your personality and quite often, your intelligence. So I made this thread so I can help you improve on your grammar, and structure when making a topic or post.

To Get Started:

~ Abbreviations: When typing, do not use abbreviated words such as 'u', instead type out the word. It honestly is not hard to add two extra letters to 'u' to form the correct word; 'you'. Words such as 'omg' and 'tbh' etc. are ok for short typing such as in 'MSN' or another chat room, but should not be often portrait in most threads. As well, using too many 'sophisticated' words can result in people getting confused, and make you sound like a dictionary worm, so try to avoid using too many gigantic words.
Example: 'I thnk u r not tping crrctly' *compared to* 'I do not think you are typing correctly.'

~ Sophisticated Wording: When typing, try to do your best to use more sophisticated wording; Saying something without the use of 'larger' and often times more 'detailed' words will result in people thinking of you as intelligent. However, do not use big words that you do not know the meaning of, which will only make you sound like a fool.
Example: 'I use my smartness to the best of my ways.' *compared to* 'I use my intelligence to the farthest extent of my ability.'
~ Organize your thread: This makes it easier to read, and gets more people reading. Beware the terrible 'wall-o-text' which often makes people skip your post/thread entirely. Make sure you space out your post/thread enough, where people can just skim by the sections and get a general knowledge of what you have to say.
Example: 'This is just a random sentence as an example, which is wasting your time, if you are trying to read it. Please refrain from reading this particular paragraph, as it is very long, and horridly boring. If you love your life, you will stop reading now, because you are only wasting it by reading this. Imagine what you could have done, if you just stopped reading this, you could have conquered a level on the game 'Mario' possibly even saved princess Peach from Bowser in the nick of time. Of coarse, since you are reading this, you would never be able to do both at once. Honestly, if you are still reading this, then you should shoot yourself on the spot, as you are just whisking your life away by reading this utterly pointless, dull, and uninteresting paragraph. Can you believe that you are still reading this, despite all the previous evidance I said about wasting your life? It is almost as though you don't have a life, and you are just reading this because you are very lonely.'
*Compared to*
'This is just a random sentence as an example, which is wasting your time, if you are trying to read it. Please refrain from reading this particular paragraph, as it is very long, and horridly boring. If you love your life, you will stop reading now, because you are only wasting it by reading this.

Imagine what you could have done, if you just stopped reading this, you could have conquered a level on the game 'Mario' possibly even saved princess Peach from Bowser in the nick of time. Of coarse, since you are reading this, you would never be able to do both at once.

Honestly, if you are still reading this, then you should shoot yourself on the spot, as you are just whisking your life away by reading this utterly pointless, dull, and uninteresting paragraph.

Can you believe that you are still reading this, despite all the previous evidence I said about wasting your life? It is almost as though you don't have a life, and you are just reading this because you are very lonely.'
~ Pauses: Do not use the dreaded '...'! The '...' in a sentence is often used to symbolize a pause between one part of the sentence and the next, however the '...' is used by many inexperienced writers, and it hinders the overall effect of the post/thread, not to mention the fact that it makes you sound slow, and unsure. If you are a '...' person, like I once was, then please, try to break this habit.
Example: 'Today i met a girl...she was awesome...but I don't want...to...tell her...how I feel...' *compared to* 'Today I met a girl, she was awesome; However I am afraid to tell her how I feel.'

~ The use of color: I have found that the use of color in a post or thread, actually attracts people to the thread, and makes it seem much more organized, unique, and easy to read. However, do not use colors like you are trying to recreate the rainbow, as it won't have the same effect. Instead try to categorize the colors with specific items in your thread or post.
Example: (This thread)

~ Exclamation points: The exclamation point is used to signify a loud effect or comment, often used in excitement, anger, or shock. Quite a few people think that it is more effective to use multiple exclamations to signify a more important thread, or to yell louder. However, this effect is not needed, and can be found as an annoyance to some.
Example: 'OMG!!!!!!! You are awesome!!!!!' *compared to* 'Wow, You are Great!'

~ Caps Lock: This is one of the most outrageous and common annoyances out on today's web. This does not make you sound smarter in any way, and it does not make people think higher of you either. I am sure most of you know not to do this, so I am not going to go into much further business.
Example: 'PLEASE JOIN MY GREAT CLAN!!!!' *compared to* 'Please join my great clan!'

~ Capitalizing: Often not bothered with, people have a tendency to not capitalize their first letter at the beginning of a sentence. This simply shows laziness, and often ends up making people think of you as 'insignificant'. It is truly amazing how something so simple as capitalization can increase your wording and appearance.
Example: 'today i want to walmart and got a nintendo' *compared to* 'Today I went to Walmart and got a Nintendo'

~ Effort: Finally, for the last part on how you could improve your post/thread, I would like to ask that you put some effort into it. This means following most of these steps, and making it look professional. This will often end up in the topic becoming 'stickied' or well known.
Example: (This thread)
Yo-yO52
Yo-yO52
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

How to type correctly. Empty Re: How to type correctly.

Post by arta-vur Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:23 pm

Thx for the topic it realy help Very Happy
arta-vur
arta-vur
New Tech Worker
New Tech Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:40 pm

Sorry for what i said about this topic...The things you can learn from this are : dont use words like 'u' by tying them in full version Smile 'you' and not using Caps all the time -it will get quite annoying Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Yo-yO52 Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:02 pm

I know it will get annoying. I read this whole topic and now I don't talk like that anymore.
Yo-yO52
Yo-yO52
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AllDivine Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Do you know you can get sued by Resistance?
You need to ask permission before using it. (If you asked for permission then my apologies, but I doubt you guys asked permission for it, since Res hasn't been on for awhile)

AllDivine
Interactive Talker
Interactive Talker

Back to top Go down

Post by Yo-yO52 Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:37 pm

I haven't asked for permission. I would have but he wasn't on. And he can't sue me. He doesn't even know me. It's not copyrighted or anything.
Yo-yO52
Yo-yO52
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum